How to Get the Best Out of Deep Frying
Get the best out of frying!
• The oil must reach a good temperature to brown the exterior of the food quickly while cooking it. That temperature is almost always between 150C and 180C degrees.
• To be sure the oil is right use a frying thermometer.
• Use sunflower or canola oil for frying. It is low in saturated fat, has a high burning point, and does not detract from the flavour of the food you are frying.
• Avoid crowding food that is deep-fat-fried. The food must be surrounded by bubbling oil, and you must keep the temperature from falling too much. If you add too much food to a small amount of oil, the temperature will plummet, and the food will wind up greasy and soggy.
• Never fill the pot more than halfway with oil; this will prevent bubbling over when the food is added.
• Dry food well with paper towels before adding to the pot; it helps reduce splattering.
News & Events
WHAT’S IN STORE in March 2019: Our pick of this month’s most exciting...more
There’s no doubt that being in charge of Christmas lunch can be...more
WHAT’S IN STORE in December 2018: Our pick of this month’s most exciting...more