Baked Cola Christmas Ham2014-09-18
- Cuisine: Christmas, Family
- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Servings : 8
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 3:30 h
A fantastic recipe: sweet and sticky ham baked in cola.
- 3 kilo(s) Unsmoked Gammon from the thick end of the Leg, deboned and rolled
- 4 litre(s) Coke
- 1 Onion, Halved
- 2 Star Anise
- 6 Black Peppercorns
- 15 Cloves
- 4 tablespoon(s) Clear Honey
- 1 teaspoon(s) Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) Ground Ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) English Mustard Powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) Demerara Sugar
Place the gammon in a large deep pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then drain.
Return the gammon to the clean pan and pour over the cola, topping up with cold water to cover if necessary. Add the onion, star anise and peppercorns.
Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 3 hours or until the ham is cooked through. Remove the ham from the liquid and leave to cool.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Once the ham is cool enough to handle, carefully remove the skin using a small, sharp knife, leaving a good even layer of fat. Score the fat in a diamond shaped pattern and stud each diamond with a clove.
Mix the remaining ingredients and brush generously over the ham. Put it in a tray and bake for 20-30 minutes, basting 2-3 times with the remaining glaze, until fabulously sticky.