Caribbean Shrimp Run Down2014-08-20
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 10m
The Jamaicans serve this when their budget is rundown, since shrimp is cheap on their island. Fantastic meal or starter.
- 500g shell-on shrimp, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- Finely chopped hot pepper to taste
- 500g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Peel and devein shrimp retaining tails. Pour the lime juice over the shrimp and set aside.
Cook the coconut milk in a heavy frying pan until it is oily. Add the onion, garlic and cook until the onion is tender. Add the hot pepper, tomatoes, salt and pepper, thyme and vinegar. Stir and cook very gently for 10 minutes.
Drain the shrimp, add the other ingredients and cook until the shrimp is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve hot over rice.