Chicken and Artichoke Tagine2014-09-20
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:40 h
This fragrant, delicious moroccan dishe ideal for entertaining.Preserved lemons add zest to many Moroccan staples.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Lemon and Zest to Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Turmeric
- 2 tablespoon(s) Olive Oil
- 1 kilo(s) Chicken Thighs, Bone in, Skin on
- 2 Medium Onions
- 30 grams Butter
- 1 tablespoon(s) Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) Black Peppper
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 800 grams Potatoes, Peeled, Quartered
- 1/2 Lemon, Cut in Quarters
- 700 mL Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon(s) Tomato Puree
- 1 Small Bay Leaf
- 12 Stems Parslay
- 12 Stems Coriander
- 9 Threads of Saffron
- 340 grams Tinned Artichoke Hearts, Drained and Rinsed
- 60 grams Green Olives, De-stoned
- 60 grams Preserved Lemons, Quartered, Pulp and Seeds Removed
- 5 tablespoon(s) Coriander Leaves, Chopped
- 60 grams Blanched Almonds, Toasted
Combine the first five ingredients and refrigerate for three hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 200°C / gas mark 6.
Peel the onions and coarsely grate them onto kitchen paper. Squeeze out excess moisture.
Over a gentle heat, warm the butter and vegetable oil in a large, lidded casserole or tagine. Sauté the onions for about four minutes until very soft. Stir in the spices, black pepper and garlic and stir constantly for two minutes.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and put into the pan. Raise the heat and brown the chicken, about five minutes per side.
Add the potatoes and stir to coat well in the spices. Add the chicken stock and tomato puree and stir well, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the pan.
Tie the bay leaf, parsley and coriander stems in a bundle and put in the pot along with the fresh lemon and saffron. Stir well. Cover and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
Take the casserole out of the oven and remove chicken with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Dispose of the coriander and parsley bundle and lemon wedges. Boil to thicken the sauce slightly, three to five minutes. Stir in artichokes, olives, preserved lemons and chicken and warm through.
Add salt if needed, sprinkle with coriander and toasted almonds and serve with rice or couscous.