Chicken Pot Pies2014-11-27
- Cuisine: Winter Ideas
- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:05 h
- 500g skinless chicken breasts
- 250g butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1cm pieces
- 2 celery stick, diced small
- 1 cup diced cooked potatoes
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 11/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 quantity rough puff pastry
- 6 Individual ramekins or one 25cm x 15cm baking dish
Preheat oven to 190oC.
Poach the chicken: Place the chicken breasts in a heavy baking dish. Cover the chicken with 3 cups of boiling water, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove and when cool, dice it into bite-size pieces.
TO MAKE THE POT PIES: Grease six ramekins or the large dish with butter or olive oil.
Roll the pie crust out and use a bowl (slightly larger than the ramekin) trace and cut out 6 circles, using the scraps to make more if needed. Keep the dough circles in the fridge so they stay cold.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy saucepan. Add in the sliced carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the diced onion and celery and season with a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent and the carrots are soft.
Now add in the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and let that melt. Once melted add in the half cup of flour and stir often while it cooks for 2 minutes.
Pour in the 3 cups of hot chicken stock and the 1-1/2 cups of milk. Simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened for about 5-8 minutes.