Chicken & Potato Soup2017-06-29
- Cuisine: Winter Ideas
- Course: Starter
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Servings : 6
- Cook Time : 2:20 h
- Ready In : 2:20 h
- 1 small full chicken
- 3 onions, divided (1 halved, 2 finely chopped)
- 4 stalks celery, divided (2 halved, 2 finely chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 8 sprigs thyme (4 left whole, leaves removed from 4 and chopped)
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 3 carrots, grated
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 680g potatoes, peeled and cut into 11⁄2-inch cubes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- spring onions, chopped for garnish
Place the chicken in large roasting dish. Add halved onion, halved celery stalks, bay leaves, peppercorns, and 4 sprigs thyme. Add just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is falling off the bone, about 1 hour.
Carefully remove chicken from stock and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat, then return bones to pot. Continue to simmer stock for 1 more hour. Shred the chicken, place in a boil, add 1 ladle of stock, and refrigerate until ready to use. After 1 hour, remove bones and strain the stock and let sit 15 minutes.
In a stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms and some salt. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in stock in a thin steady stream until fully incorporated. Add potatoes and bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes.
Add chopped thyme and shredded chicken and cream to heat through. Season to taste, sprinkle with spring onions and serve with toasted ciabatta.