Courgette and Basil Soup2015-05-27
- Cuisine: Winter Ideas
- Course: Starter
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Servings : 6
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 35m
- 1⁄4 butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup potato, approx 1 large, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups courgettes, chopped
- 2 tbsps basil, freshly chopped
- FOR THE PARMESAN CROUTONS
- 75g ciabatta bread cut into small cubes
- 11⁄2 tbsps olive oil
- 11⁄2 tbsps parmesan, finely grated
Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and potato and cook for 10 minutes without colouring the vegetables. Add the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes until the potato is soft. Add the courgettes, season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes until the courgettes are just soft. Cool the soup slightly, add the basil, then liquidise in batches until smooth.
To make the parmesan croutons, heat the oven to 180°C, Place the bread in a bowl, pour over the oil and toss well so that all the bread gets well coated. Add the parmesan, stir well then spread the croutons out onto a baking sheet in a single layer and cook for 10 minutes or until crisp and brown.
To serve, reheat the soup, adjust the seasoning and serve in warm bowls with the croutons sprinkled on top.