Creamy Almond and Herb Soup2014-08-26
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 40m
A flavourful soup for any occasion.
- 3/4 cup(s) almonds, slivered, roasted*, plus 2 tbs for garnish
- 6 cup(s) chicken stock, divided
- 3 cup(s) fresh cilantro, divided, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 2 cup(s) fresh parsley, divided
- 180 grams cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh thyme leaves
- 240 grams cooked and deveined shrimp
Grind the almonds finely in a food processor or blender. Add 2 cups broth, 1 1/2 cups cilantro, 1 cup parsley and cream cheese; blend until smooth.
Transfer mixture to a medium pot, and gradually stir in remaining 4 cups broth. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
Transfer 1 cup soup, remaining cilantro and parsley, and oregano and marjoram to blender; puree until smooth. Whisk puree into soup in pan.
Add shrimp and simmer just until warm throughout, about 3 minutes. Divide among bowls and serve, garnishing each bowl with a few slivered almonds and a cilantro sprig.
*To roast whole, slivered, chopped or sliced almonds: Spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in a 180˚C oven and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to ensure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.