Cuban Black Bean Soup2014-09-01
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 2:15 h
- Ready In : 2:45 h
What better way to warm up with this delicious black bean soup.
- 500 grams black beans
- 1 kilo(s) ham bone
- 60 mL olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, chopped finely
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 400 grams or 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 10 cup(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 60 mL lime juice
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped fresh coriander
Preheat oven to hot; roast ham bone on oven tray, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, pepper and garlic, stirring, about 5 minutes or until vegetables soften. Add cumin and chili; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add beans and ham bone to pan with undrained tomatoes, the water, oregano and black pepper; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. (Can be made ahead to this stage. Cover; refrigerate overnight.)
Remove ham bone from soup; shred ham from bone. Discard bone; add ham to soup, stirring until heated through. Stir juice, tomato and coriander into soup just before serving.