Hearty Butternut Soup2014-09-01
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
A delicious warm soup for those cold winter nights.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup(s) carrots, grated
- 3 cup(s) butternut, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon(s) salted butter
- 1 bay leaf (remove before serving)
- 1 large Granny Smith or tart baking apple, peeled and chopped
- water, as needed to thin the soup
- 2 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup(s) sour cream
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots, and bay leaf in butter until softened.
Add the squash and apple, chicken broth and 1/2 cup of water.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 45 minutes or until squash is tender.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches, transferring pureed soup to a clean saucepan. Add enough additional water to thin soup to desired consistency.
Top each bowlful with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy with whole-grain bread.