Italian Cob Loaf2014-09-19
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 1:47 h
A tasty way to update a regular lunchtime meal or snack. Ideal to take on picnics or to enjoy with a glass of white wine and a few friends outdoors.
- 1 medium round Italian loaf
- 1 tbsp bottled Italian dressing
- 1 medium young eggplant, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp shredded fresh basil
- 2 roasted peppers, sliced
- 1 tbsp bottled Italian dressing extra
- 125g good quality ham, sliced
- 1 tbsp sliced black olives
- 125g mozzarella cheese
Cut a thin slice from top of loaf, scoop out centre crumbs, leaving a thick wall. Brush inside of loaf with dressing.
Place eggplant on an oven tray, brush both sides with oil and grill until tender, turning once, cool.
Arrange eggplant in loaf, press down firmly, top with tomato and sprinkle with basil. Cover with roasted peppers and dressing. Top with ham, olives and cheese and press filling down firmly.
Replace top of loaf and tie loaf securely with white string. Wrap loaf rmly in foil or plastic wrap, refrigerate overnight.
Slice into wedges and serve outdoors with white wine.