- Servings : 8
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 24:35 h
Earthy, comforting and versatile mushrooms. Marinated Mushrooms with red wine and Fennel – Serve with buttered toast or crackers.
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced into thin rings
- garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon(s) dried basil
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried marjoram
- 1 cup(s) canned Italian peeled plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup(s) hearty red wine
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1⁄4 Cup best quality olive oil
- 680g medium size fresh mushrooms, stems removed and wiped clean
- 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 Balsamic Vinegar
- Chopped Italian parsley (garnish)
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add some salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove mushrooms and keep aside.
Cook the onion and garlic in the oil remaining in the pan over low heat for 15 minutes. Onions should still have some “crunch”.
Add fennel seeds, basil and marjoram and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add tomatoes, wine and vinegar to the pan, season with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Return mushrooms to the pan, simmer for 5 minutes. Let it cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
Sprinkle heavily with chopped fresh parsley before serving.