Meat and Vegetable Soup2015-05-27
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 4:00 h
- Ready In : 4:30 h
- 11⁄2 kg beef, use stewing, shin, brisket, blade or short rib cut into manageable pieces
- 4 litres beef stock, use granules or cubes
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 potatoes, cubed
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped or grated
- 6 sticks of celery, chopped
- 300g fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 150ml tomato sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
Melt the butter in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the meat and cook until slightly browned, stirring constantly.
Add the onions and potatoes, and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and simmer slowly for up to 4 hours. The soup is cooked when the meat pieces are very tender.
Allow to settle and cool slightly before spooning off any excess fat on top of the soup.
Serve with toast, fresh crusty bread, croutons or crackers.