Mutton Rogan Josh Curry2014-09-22
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
A famous Kashmir curry dish.
- 800 grams Mutton, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoon(s) Oil
- 2 Stick Cinnamon
- 1 Ratan jot 4-6 inch piece, sliced (you may substitute it with 8 drops of red food colouring)
- 5 Black peppercorns
- 4 Black Cardamoms
- 1 tablespoon(s) Red Chilli Powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) Fennel Seed Powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) Ginger Powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) Coriander Powder
- 1 pinch(es) Salt to taste
- 1 cup(s) Yoghurt
Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add cinnamon, cloves, black peppercorns and black cardamoms. Sauté till fragrant.
Add Mutton pieces and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly till the mutton pieces turn a reddish brown colour. This may take 12-15 minutes.
Sprinkle on a little water and continue cooking for 12-15 minutes more on low heat. Make sure to stir constantly and scrape all the sediments from the bottom of the pan. Add red chilli powder, fennel powder, dry ginger powder, coriander powder and salt. Add yogurt and two cups of water. Cook, covered, till lamb is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
Traditional Kashmiri Rogan Josh has thin gravy and a thick layer of oil on top. This dish is best enjoyed with steaming hot steamed Basmati rice. Quality of meat plays an important role in this dish. Select meat with a lot of fat for extra flavour.