- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 2:30 h
- Ready In : 2:50 h
Tasty dish for all.
- 3 1/2 pound(s) beef shoulder or cross-rib roast, rolled and tied
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoon(s) best-quality olive oil
- 1 1/2 beef stock
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped fine, plus additional for garnish
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 7 whole cloves
- 2 1/2 cup(s) coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 2 cup(s) peeled carrot chunks, 1-inch chunks
- 8 medium size potatoes, scrubbed and cut into thirds
- 2 cup(s) canned Italian plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup(s) diced celery
Preheat oven 180°C (350°F)
Rub roast with black pepper. Heat olive oil in a heavy flame proof casserole or Dutch oven and sear roast for several minutes on each side, browning well.
Pour in stock and wine and add parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and the whole cloves. Stir in onions, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and celery.
Liquid in the casserole should just cover vegetables. Add additional beef stock if necessary. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove, cover, and bake in centre of oven for 2 ½ hours.
Uncover and cook longer, until meat in tender, about 1½ hours, basting frequently.
Transfer roast to a deep serving platter and arrange vegetables around it. Spoon a bit of sauce over all and garnish the platter with parsley. Pass around additional sauce in gravy boat.