Roast Lamb with Peppercorn Crust2014-09-23
- Servings : 7
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 2:05 h
- Ready In : 2:35 h
A family feast.
- 3 tablespoon(s) crushed dried peppercorns, and equal mix of white, black and green
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh rosemary leaves, or ½ teaspoon dried
- tablespoon(s) fresh mint leaves
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup(s) raspberry vinegar
- cup(s) Oriental soy sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1 boned but untied leg of lamb, about 5 pounds (weighed after boning)
- 2 tablespoon(s) prepared Dijon-style mustard
Combine 1 tablespoon of the crushed peppercorns, the rosemary, mint, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce and red wine in a shallow bowl. Marinate the lamb in the mixture for eight hours, turning occasionally. Remove roast from marinade and drain; reserve marinade. Roll the roast, tying it with kitchen twine.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Spread mustard over meat and pat 2 tablespoons of crushed peppercorns into the mustard. Set the roast in a shallow roasting pan just large enough to hold it comfortably and pour reserved marinade carefully around but not over roast.
Bake for 1 ½ hours, or 18 minutes per pound, basting occasionally. Roast will be medium rare. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes for well-done meat. Let roast stand for 20 minutes before carving. Serve pan juices in gravy boat along with lamb.