Souvlaki with Tomato ,Almond & Mint Salad2014-09-18
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Party Ideas
- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 35m
When walking the streets of the cities of Greece, you’d be hard-pressed not to find a shop selling the nation’s speciality, souvlaki: tender meat skewers marinated in a herb, lemon and oil dressing.
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1tsps finely grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- 800g lamb fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 medium yellow peppers (400g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium red onion, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄4 cup (35g) roasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
Combine oil, rind, juice and oregano in screw top jar; shake well.
Thread lamb, peppers and onion, alternately, on skewers; drizzle with half the dressing. Cook skewers on heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbeque) until cooked as desired.
Meanwhile, combine the tomato, nuts and mint with remaining dressing in a small bowl.
Serve souvlaki with tomato, almond and mint salad, and pitta bread, if desired.
SERVES 4 Preparation time 20 minutes Cooking time 15 minutes