Vegetable Khao Soi Soup2018-04-25
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
- Khao Soi Paste:
- 4 red chillies
- 6 garlic cloves
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and roughly sliced
- 4 tbsps coriander stalks, chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks, white inner part only, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp ground coriander
- 11⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 200g rice noodles
- 1⁄2 head of cauliflower, divided into florets
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, diced
- 1 lime, quartered
- handful spring onion, thickly sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- olive or peanut oil, for frying
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 250ml coconut milk
- 3 tbsps soy sauce
- juice of 1⁄2 lime
- 1-2 tbsps sugar
- fresh coriander, to serve
- sesame seeds, to serve
- fresh lime, to serve
Place all the paste ingredients in a blender, add about 4 tbsp of water and process until you get a uniform paste.
Preheat the oven to 225°C and line a tray with a piece of baking paper. Coat butternut, cauliflower and lime in a tablespoon of oil, season with salt or soy sauce and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden.
Cook noodles according to the instructions on the packet.
Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a medium size pot. Add Khao Soi paste to the hot oil and stir-fry it for about 4-6 minutes, until slightly darkened. Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk and allow them to come to the boil. Add the butternut, cauliflower, spring onion and pepper. Season with or soy sauce, fresh lime juice and sugar to taste.
Pour gently over cooked noodles and serve with fresh coriander, lime and sesame seeds.