Summer Shape Up Meal Plan
Swim-wear season is just around the corner and we bet you’re clocking up serious time on the treadmill and eating like a saint!
Sure, hard-work never hurt anyone but here are some food tips to help you eat right and look your best in that little polka- dot two piece! With all the delicious fresh fruit and vegetables now available, summer is the perfect time to get back into shape without dieting. All you need to do is to increase your fibre intake and you will start to feel the difference instantly. Choose one or two options from the meal plans below to help you start to look and feel your best this summer:
• 1 bowl of fresh fruit salad and low fat plain yoghurt.
• Fresh fruit smoothie with low fat yoghurt and oat bran (add some ginger for an extra boost).
• 1 bowl of All Bran Flakes and skim milk (add some fresh fruit for more flavour).
• 1 bowl of Muesli with low fat plain yoghurt.
• 1 bowl of cooked oats and low fat milk (try something different by adding fresh fruit, nuts and raisins).
• Spinach and feta omelette.
• 2 slices of rye bread toast with grilled tomato and feta.
• 1 handful of almonds or macadamia nuts. • 1 small tub of low fat yoghurt.
• Fresh fruit salad and yoghurt.
• Fresh fruit such as watermelon, mango, oranges, apples, pears, peaches etc.
• Fresh summer salad with roasted vegetables and grilled chicken strips.
• Broccoli and tuna salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar salad dressing.
• Sliced tomato, rocket and feta on rye cracker breads.
• 1 small roast sweet potato filled with cottage cheese, grilled beef strips and caramelized onions.
• Fresh fruit such as mulberries, apples, pears, grapefruit, oranges, melons etc. • 1 small tub of low fat yoghurt.
• 1 small handful of nuts.
• 1 or 2 muesli rusks.
• Roast chicken and roast vegetables such as butternut, green beans, and broccoli.
• Roast butternut filled with cooked mince. Add some green beans, baby marrow and broccoli on the side.
• Gem-squash filled with cooked beef strips in a sweet and sour sauce. Add some sweet potato chips, peas and broccoli on the side.
• Grilled fish fillets with mashed sweet potato, green beans and roast pumpkin.
• Fillet steak with roasted cherry tomatoes, broccoli, baby marrow, onions and butter- nut chips on the side.
• Chicken breast stuffed with spinach and feta, served with pumpkin squash and fresh garden peas.
The following foods are readily available in summer and will help to boost your weight-loss:
1. Green apples – high in fibre and potassium; low in calories.
2. Green beans – high in fibre and vitamin C.
3. Sweet Potatoes – high in fibre as well as vitamins C and E, iron and magnesium.
4. Mulberries or strawberries – high in fibre and vitamin C.
5. Broccoli – very high in fibre and vitamin B.
6. Chickpeas – high in fibre and vitamin B6
7. Pumpkin – high in fibre, vitamins A, C and E and potassium.
8. Zucchini or baby marrows – high in fibre; very low in calories
9. Grape fruit – high in anti oxidants and vitamin C.
10. Mangoes – high in fibre, help combat sugar cravings and high in vitamins A, B and C.